Extension poultry and veterinary specialists for the University Of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture will be offering five seminars on Biosecurity for backyard flocks July 1-11.
The small flock seminars will be held in Sebastian, Logan, Yell, Montgomery and Polk counties. The five counties border Scott County, where state livestock officials are investigating the finding of a low pathogenic strain of avian influenza.
“It is important that small flock owners review the techniques for preventing the spread of any disease through their birds,” said Dustan Clark, extension veterinarian. “These seminars are a good opportunity to evaluate the biosecurity of hobby flocks.”
The seminars will also touch on Avian Influenza and other poultry diseases. There is no charge to attend.
The schedule is:
- BOONEVILLE – Monday, July 1 – 6 p.m. at the Jeral Hampton Center in Booneville. For info call, (479) 675-2787
- MENA – Tuesday, July 2 – 6 p.m.at the Polk Co. Fairgrounds in Mena, for info call, 479-394-6018
- GREENWOOD – Monday, July 8 – 6 p.m. at the Sebastian Co. Fairgrounds in Greenwood, for info call, 479-484-7737
- MOUNT IDA – Tuesday, July 9 – 6 p.m. at the Lake Ouachita Baptist Church (3586 Hwy 270 East) Mount Ida, for info call 870-867-2311
- DANVILLE – Thursday, July 11 –6 p.m. at the Yell Co. Extension Office (1002 East 8th St.) Danville, Arkansas, 479-495-2216
A second round of seminars is also being planned, with dates and locations to be announced.
If you have poultry on your farm that are sick and/or dying, see any unusual signs in your poultry or have questions concerning Avian Influenza contact your local county agent, veterinarian, or livestock inspector, the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service poultry veterinarian (479-957-4245) or the Arkansas State Veterinarians office (501-907-2400).
The Cooperative Extension Service is part of the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture and offers its programs to all eligible persons regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status, and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.