Paul Post Announces Candidacy for Sebastian County Circuit Judge
Custom Search 2
Attorney Paul Post announced his candidacy for Sebastian County Circuit Judge on Tuesday, September 17, 2013. He is seeking the judicial seat being vacated by long-time Circuit Judge Mark Hewett, who has for many years heard the majority of juvenile cases in Sebastian County.
Serving on the judicial bench is something Post sees as a way to positively impact the lives of others. “I’ve spent most of my career representing children and families. My experience has prepared me to meet the challenge of this opportunity to help many more people from the bench.”
Post has managed his own private law practice for more than 26 years, concentrating most of his time on juvenile, Family In Need of Services (FINS), dependency/neglect (DHS), and family law cases. He has often been court appointed to represent children and parents and is currently contracted by the State of Arkansas to represent parents. During his career, he has appeared before 12 different juvenile court judges in Sebastian, Crawford, Scott, Franklin, Logan and Pope counties.
Post’s judicial experience began when he served as Barling City and Police Court Judge from 1996 to 2002. He has also substituted as judge for Fort Smith Municipal Judges David Saxon and Les Evitts, Jr.
Some highlights of Paul’s career include:
- Dependency-Neglect Children’s Attorney Ad Litem
- State certification as a Mediator for Juvenile, Domestic Relations, Probate and Civil Courts
- State certification as a Dependency-Neglect Indigent Parent Counsel
- Domestic Relations Attorney Ad Litem
- Panel member for Attorney Ad Litem training
- Appointment by Judges as Attorney Ad Litem to represent children in domestic relations and probate matters, including divorce, custody, visitation, guardianship cases
- Appointment by Judges as Guardian of the Person and Estate for incapacitated persons including children and elderly persons
- Representing clients in civil and criminal jury trials
- Winning appeals in both the Arkansas Supreme Court and the Arkansas Court of Appeals
- Contributor to Custody Jurisdiction Section of the Arkansas Domestic Relations Handbook
- Member of the Arkansas and Sebastian County Bar Associations
- Committee member on Real Estate Title Standards in Arkansas, Joint Subcommittee of the Real
- Estate Section and Natural Resources Section of the Arkansas Bar Association
- Business Law instructor at Westark Community College (now UAFS)
- Working as a petroleum landman in the oil and gas industry for six years prior to establishing private practice
Outside the courtroom, Paul is an Adult Sunday School teacher, treasurer and song leader at New Liberty Baptist Church in Fort Smith. He served as the first chairman of the Immaculate Conception School Development Committee and co-chairman of the Fort Smith Chamber of Commerce Government Affairs Committee.
Paul is Past Master of Sebastian Lodge #706 and is a current member of Belle Point Lodge #20. He is a 32nd Degree Mason – KCCH, past Scottish Rite Almoner and past member of Scottish Rite 14th Degree team.
Post manages his law practice from the Barling Law Office. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration from Arkansas College (now Lyon College) and a Juris Doctor from the University of Arkansas School of Law at Fayetteville. He and his wife, Connie, have lived in Fort Smith for 32 years. They have two children, Kate and Matt, who attended Catholic and public schools in Fort Smith.