A lady came into my shop one day. She bought a small rub board to hang in her utility room.
She said, “I’m going to hang it over the automatic washer and every time I put in a load of clothes, I am going to say…Thank you, Lord.”
We do tend to take things for granted, don’t we?
I came across this article the other day:
1. Bilt fire in back yard to heet kittle or rainse water.
2. Set tubs so smoke want blow in eyes if wind is pert.
3. Sort things, Make 3 piles; one pile white, one pile colored, and one pile britches and rags.
4. Stir flour in cold water to smoothe, then think down with biling water, put a dab of coal oil in and the iron won’t stick to your clothes.
5. Rub dirty spots on wash board. Scurb hard and then bile. Rinch real good and starch.
6. Take white things out of kittle with a broomstick handle. Then rinch and starch.
7. Hang old rags on fince.
8. Spread tea towels on grass.
9. Pour rinch water on flower bed.
10. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.
11. Turn tubs upside down.
12. Go put on house dress, smooth hair with side combs.
13. Brew cup of tea.
14. Sit and rist aspell, rock and count your blessings.